Heaven on Earth for sure!! WOW!! What views!!
At the base of the Atlas Mountains, Kasbah du Toubkal, is a gorgeous little lodge that offers a tranquil place to take in the beauty of the snow peaked mountains, the sweet little villages, rivers and waterfalls, and fantastic hikes into the craggy mountains.
The 5 hour hike that we embarked on was not very strenuous (our 12 year old nephew could do it!) but it was very fulfilling. The path led across a now-dry river bed and wound it’s way around the mountain. It was so very quiet with only the birds chirping. We aimed to reach the next village but could not make it because of lack of time.
So we headed back for a hot lunch of beef tagine and a vegetable tagine served with freshly baked bread, freshly squeezed orange juice, olives, butter and a dessert of sliced oranges sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon. Lip smacking good. Whole and hearty!
It really is a beautiful place for bone deep relaxation. It did wonders for our souls to sit up there, and read, and meditate, walk up winding paths in silence, eat wholesome, fresh food, and just be with nature.
It also made me wonder if the people who live there realise what a treasure trove of natural beauty they have right outside their doors and windows. They wake up, every single morning, to that glorious mountain and the stream that runs down it. Caught up in daily cares, does one, can one become de-sensitized to all that beauty? I don’t think so. Their kindness, their humility, their sweetness of nature, and willingness to help us was a reflection of the beauty of the place. Whether they are consciously aware of the fact, or not, it has become a part of their own true nature, too. Or so I believe anyway. 🙂
I think everyone must visit this place at least once if possible.
- They have free wifi.
- Breakfast is included in the price.
- They offer hikes for an extra cost. Do not miss the one that takes you to the base of a waterfall. You can dabble your feet in the cold, cold water while sipping on freshly squeezed orange juice!
- Our Garden House room had a kitchen, a dining room, and a small washing machine, and balconies with a fantastic view of the Atlas Mountains. It could easily sleep 10.
- There is a 15 minute, up hill hike to get to the Kasbah. You can walk up or take a mule up. The luggage is carried by mules.
- They have a conference room for meetings and such.
- There is a Hamam which is included in the price.
- It is one of National Geographic’s ‘Unique Lodges of the World’.
On our hike…